Director, Corporate Development (USA)
At Valens, we believe in creating products for those who need them. We do things the right way without ever cutting corners. Whether it’s medical or recreational, local or international, we’re pursuing meaningful extraction, formulation, product development and testing to bring purposeful cannabis to the people.
We each have our unique story, but we have a common goal of creating exceptional products with the end user in mind. We celebrate team wins, big and small, by recognizing the role that everyone has played in it. It is about growing together, learning together and making a positive difference.
AT VALENS, IT’S PERSONAL.
- Don’t miss this opportunity to help build and shape the growing cannabis industry!
- Live, work and play in the heart of vibrant downtown Toronto.
- Immerse yourself in an environment where championing the individual is not just a motto, it is a daily practice and how we succeed as a team.
Valens is looking for a Director, Corporate Development (USA) to join our growing Toronto team. The team is active across a variety of domestic and international transactions with a strong pipeline of deal opportunities. The successful candidate will be involved in Valens expansion into the US and include all aspects of the overarching strategy, deal review, transaction, and integration process.
As you will:
The individual will be assigned a wide variety of projects and given as much responsibility as their experience and capabilities permit, some of which may include:
- Lead the evaluation of strategic US based transactions (M&A), including but not limited to meeting with counterparty management teams, deal structuring, financial modeling, preparation of presentation materials and conducting due diligence
- Lead the valuation process for identifying potential strategic transactions, including building Excel-based valuation models that consider business-specific earnings and cash flow projections, accretion/dilution, capital considerations and other transaction metrics
- Provide analytical and project management support throughout the transaction process from due diligence to portfolio integration
- Lead the preparation of oral and written presentations for Senior Management which present analysis and conclusions in a clear and concise manner
- Maintain databases to monitor M&A activity, financing activity, current and developing state by state legislation and other industry trends
- Develop and maintain financial tools to evaluate the company's internal financial and operational performance
As ayou bring:
- 5+ years of experience in Financial Services managing people and projects (Investment Banking, Accounting, Equity Research, or Private Equity)
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Ability to commit to travel between Canada and the US 25-35% of the year
- A strong interest and passion for the cannabis industry
- CFA, CA, or CPA CPB designation is considered a strong asset
- Advanced knowledge of MS Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Strong organization and communication skills, including the ability to quickly respond to requests from internal and external counterparties
- Strong oral and written communication skills, intellectual ability and time management skills
- Work ethic and motivation with a willingness to work flexible hours
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced workplace environment
- All successful candidates are required to pass background checks
As a valued member of the Valens team, you will enjoy:
- Competitive total compensation and incentives
- A top-notch extended benefits package including medical, vision and dental
- An entrepreneurial and innovative environment that fosters growth and continuous learning
We are grateful for the interest in this role from all candidates, however, we will be contacting only those that are selected for next steps in the hiring process.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
The Valens Company is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a welcoming, inclusive, diverse and safe workplace where all of our team members have equal opportunity to succeed. We know this begins with recruitment. To honor our commitment, Valens encourages applications from individuals of all backgrounds, sexual orientation, gender identity, ancestry, ages and abilities.
Please note that The Valens Company does not utilize social media to hire employees, nor does it ever charge fees to candidates at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. When replying to emails, please ensure the sender name and email address match exactly and the address ends in @thevalenscompany.com. If you are concerned about the authenticity of an email, letter, or call from, for, or on behalf of The Valens Company, please send an email inquiry to email@example.com.
- The Valens Company, 409 King St West, Toronto, Ontario, Canada