Operations - Superintendent
Wolf Midstream is a Calgary-based private midstream company backed by CPP Investments and was established in 2016. Wolf owns and operates a platform of companies focused on Western Canadian midstream infrastructure assets including the Access Pipeline System, the Alberta Carbon Trunk Line (ACTL), and the NGL North system currently under construction and coming online in 2023.
Wolf values a strong commitment to health, safety and the environment and places a strong emphasis on our defining behaviours, Act Like Shareholders, Be Customer Focused, Be Courageous, Do the Right Thing and Own It!
In May 2021, Wolf announced the positive final investment decision for NGL North, a proprietary, integrated natural gas liquids (“NGL”) recovery, transportation and separation system and with it, the formation of Wolf’s third business, Wolf NGL. NGL North recovers higher carbon NGL from the Alberta natural gas system that provides fuel gas to the oil sands. By recovering the NGL prior to combustion, NGL North is expected to reduce carbon dioxide emissions in the Christina Lake area by over 200,000 metric tonnes per year. In turn, the specification NGL products produced at Wolf Feedstock Separation (“WFS”) in Sturgeon County, Alberta will provide critical feedstock to support Alberta’s growing and industry-leading petrochemical complexes.
NGL North is the foundation of an expandable network capable of facilitating increased downstream market development to support the growing Alberta ethylene and propylene-based derivative industries as well as support energy transition globally by supplying cleaner burning fuels to Asia through West Coast marine export supporting decarbonization efforts well underway.
This Sturgeon, Alberta-based role is an excellent opportunity for a proven individual with an exceptional history of safety-focused high performance, operational team development, continuous improvement, and strong operational execution success to be a senior contributing member of the Wolf NGL team.
NGL North operations scope includes deep cut NGL recovery facilities with the capability to process approximately 1 billion cubic feet per day of inlet gas in Wood Buffalo, Alberta (“Wolf Recovery Facility I” or “WRF I”), WFS, a 70,000 barrel per day ethane-plus (C2+) NGL separation complex in Sturgeon County, Alberta, and over 300 kms of connected pipelines.
This role reports to the President, NGL and will work closely with the Wolf NGL leadership team. This position leads and coordinates a diverse team of Operations and Maintenance staff in stewardship of facility integrity and reliability. This position demands a close working relationship with the other Wolf business units (Wolf Pipeline and Wolf Carbon Solutions). The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Develop and foster a positive, diverse, and inclusive work environment championing Wolf’s defining behaviours.
- Develop an operations and maintenance staffing plan including recruiting, hiring, and training the team to be prepared for the commissioning and efficient ongoing operation of the NGL North assets.
- Play a leading role in emergency preparedness.
- Provide clear direction for the Operations and Maintenance teams in relation to priorities.
- Continuously improve the safety, efficiency, environmental footprint, reliability and profitability of the overall operation and their teams.
- Ensure preventative maintenance and integrity management programs are in place to meet reliability and regulatory requirements, including ongoing updates and improvements.
- Ensure competency and training programs are in place and continuously improved upon.
- Ensure operating, maintenance safety and operational procedures are in place and in practice.
- Coach and mentor direct reports in the development of goals, action plans, training and personal development aligned with realizing Wolf’s strategic goals.
- Be a strong and contributing member of the communities in which Wolf operates.
- Conduct ongoing workforce planning and performance management.
- Work closely with the Wolf NGL leadership team in developing, monitoring, and reporting on system performance targets.
- Develop and manage operations and maintenance budget development and stewardship.
- Be able to communicate clearly both written and verbally to the Wolf Board of Directors and CPP Investments.
- Participate in the design, construction, operability reviews and quality control of new facilities or modifications and evaluate/make recommendations on processing equipment and facilities.
- Support business development efforts and bring operational lens to project development and design.
- Provide backup coverage where practical.
Qualifications and Experience
- High level of ethical standards and adherence to code of conduct.
- Results-orientated and ability to work without supervision.
- Ability to manage many concurrent unrelated activities.
- Technical and troubleshooting skills to resolve complex operational issues.
- Exceptional organizational and administrative skills.
- Demonstrated superior leadership, including staff planning and allocation, hiring, training and development, scheduling and time reporting systems, compensation reviews and performance management.
- Excellent writing, presentation, communication, and interpersonal skills to interact with numerous stakeholders.
- Self-starter with strong problem-solving skills and an ability to work in a lean organization.
Education & Training:
- Preference will be given to a technical diploma or a degree in a related discipline.
- Minimum 3rd Class Power Engineering certificate preferred.
- A minimum of 20 years NGL recovery, separation, and compression facilities operation and pipeline experience with a minimum of 10 years in a supervisory capacity.
- Experience in operating and or direct supervision of NGL recovery plants and separation facilities.
- Experience in management of preventative maintenance and integrity management programs.
- Health, Safety and Environment training and experience, including H2S, emergency response and first aid.
- Must have experience building highly effective and efficient teams.
Wolf Midstream is an equal opportunity employer with a competitive compensation package which includes full benefits.
Interested candidates should apply at www.wolfmidstream.com by December 1, 2021. We thank all for their interest; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
- Pay Type Salary
- Sturgeon County, AB T0A 2W0, Canada