Registered Veterinary Technologist - 433 - Kamloops S/NC
Your cover letter, which is a vital part of your application submission, should clearly demonstrate how your experience, education and skills match with the job posting requirements.
Are you an ALLSTAR RVT? The BC SPCA Kamloops Spay Neuter Clinic is looking for a Registered Veterinary Technologist (RVT) to join their team. This position provides support to the veterinarians by assisting with all aspects of anesthesia and surgery for both privately owned and shelter animals as well as assisting in maintaining the hospital and its equipment in good operating order. Working from Mondays to Fridays (no weekends, statutory holidays, or on-call shifts); this position also assists with the morning check-in of patients as well as pre-surgical and pre-vaccination examinations and will provide support to other hospital staff when needed.
The ideal candidate will be detail orientated, career minded and will want to be part of a positive team environment. You have great communication and nursing skills. You are a team player and are passionate about taking the best possible care of our patients. You have passion for what you do every day, enthusiasm, good energy, positive attitude and want to utilize all of your technical skills.
What you will do:
• Direct animal care duties include:
o Triage patient care and treatments and coordinate with other staff members, including reviewing the upcoming schedule and planning/preparation for upcoming procedures.
o Assist the veterinarian in all tasks required for patient care such as administering intravenous, subcutaneous, intramuscular and oral medications, and perform required treatments.
o Calculating drug doses, use, potential side effects, proper administration, and ensuring control/recording of controlled drugs.
Reviewing medications prepared by Veterinary Assistants.
Filling/dispensing medications for surgical/hospitalized animals as required.
o Performing treatments such as wound treatments, bandage/splint changes, and ear cleanings as required by the doctor.
o Collecting specimens and performing routine laboratory work in hematology, biochemistry, chemistry, microbiology, urinalysis, and serology to assist in the diagnosis and treatment.
Performing in-house laboratory work, including reading microscopic sediment for urinalysis, fecal floats, and ear/skin cytology and interpreting results.
o Performing and/or assisting the doctor in diagnostic, medical and surgical procedures using a range of diagnostic equipment including but not limited to electrocardiography, radiography, and ultrasonography equipment.
Maintaining radiology log and sending radiographs as instructed by doctors.
o Hospitalizing patients under the supervision of the doctor including placement of an intravenous catheter, intravenous fluid administration, medication administration, monitoring vital signs, inputs and outputs.
o Performing sedation, general anesthesia, and patient monitoring including safety, emergency drugs, administration and wen to intervene, intubation, extubation and recovery, and drug administration, indications, and contraindications.
o Performing dental treatments including scaling, polishing, performing an antibacterial rinse and dental radiographs.
o Performing corneal stain tests, Shirmer Tear Tests, and eye pressure testing when instructed by doctors.
o Monitoring time requirements and ensuring medical records are kept up to date.
o Tattooing and microchipping, as required.
o Performing tasks such as anal gland expression, grooming, and nail trims.
o Managing weight-loss programs under the direction of the doctor.
o Assisting doctors in exam rooms as required.
o Assisting with humane euthanasia as required.
o Other duties as assigned.
• Client communication duties include:
o Educating clients on care and treatment.
o Updating clients on patients in hospital and performing discharges.
o Creating discharge/home care instructions.
o Performing callbacks/emails as needed for progress reports.
o Answering client questions that do not require a doctor.
o Other duties as assigned.
• Housekeeping and administrative duties include:
o Cleaning and maintaining all equipment including anesthetic, laboratory, and x-ray machines.
o Ensuring that all fees associated with a patient are placed on the patient visit list, in collaboration with the Veterinary Assistant.
o Cleaning and organizing patient and general areas.
o Stocking supplies as needed.
o Other duties as assigned.
To succeed in this role, you will need:
• Successful completion of a veterinary technologist program accredited by the Canadian Veterinary Medicine Association (CVMA) and registration with the BC Veterinary Technologists Association (BCVTA); or recognition by BC governing bodies of an equivalency to an RVT designation.
• Experience in delivering high quality customer service to a variety of stakeholders.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills; ability to multi-task and complete tasks/projects within defined timelines.
• Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills along with a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Able to fulfill physical demands of the job which may include standing for long periods of time, walking, sitting, and lifting heavy objects and patients.
• Understanding of the risks associated with working with animals and an ability to follow safety requirements and other precautions such as fear free handling techniques.
• Willingness and no identified barriers to exposure to supplies commonly used in a hospital setting such as anesthetic gases, chemicals, drugs including controlled substances, and x-ray radiation within Canadian safety standards.
• Experience in using common veterinary practice software. Experience with Cornerstone would be considered an asset.
• Philosophical harmony with BC SPCA policies, programs and protocols.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hiring Rate $24.00
- Required Education Associate Degree
- 2816 Tranquille Rd, Kamloops, BC V2B 3L4, Canada