Animal Care Attendant - 535 - North Cariboo
CLASSIFICATION: CUPE 1048
Our BC SPCA North Cariboo Community Animal Centre is looking to fill a permanent, full-time Animal Care Attendant position. The successful candidate will work from Tuesday to Saturday and might occasionally operate on weekends upon previous demand.
Ours ACA will report and assist with the day-to-day activities to Branch Manager, bringing energy and enthusiasm to a team environment.
At the same time, you will be responsible for the health, care and welfare duties of the animals cared by the center, always ensuring optimal care levels are administered to the animals based on the Five Freedoms.
You have experience in customer relations and previous experience in animal husbandry. You care deeply about animals and uphold the highest animal care standards.
What you will do:
• To maintain the entire physical plant in a clean, sanitary, and efficient manner on an ongoing basis and in a collaborative manner
• To ensure kennels, runs, and cat cages are kept in a manner that is best suited for the animal’s health and welfare as per the Shelter Sense protocols
• To monitor the health and welfare of the animals through the maintenance of up-to-date kennel cards, recording information on whiteboard and daily logs, and completing daily welfare sheets
• To maintain animals on a proper diet ensuring daily feeding, watering, exercise, and enrichment
• To treat animals humanely, with compassion and concern, and in a manner consistent with the BC SPCA’s five freedoms
• To perform general bathing and grooming of animals
• To ensure animals’ health and well-being are maintained in accordance with the BC SPCA policies and procedures with respect to animal health. This includes the administration of approved medications as specified by the Vet Technician or other authorized shelter staff and ensuring related supplies are re-stocked and ordered as needed.
• To immediately report any health or welfare concerns to the Manager or designate.
• To assist or perform (if certified) euthanasia activities and ensure that any euthanasia is conducted in a humane manner and that all such activities are handled in a respectful, compassionate and stress-free manner.
• To act as an ambassador of the BC SPCA at all times and ensure customer and community relations are consistently professional and positive.
• To perform reception duties including greeting members of the public, answering telephones, responding to emails promptly, entering information in Shelter Buddy, uploading photos, general filing and cash-out procedures.
• To assist with adoptions, redemptions and intake of animals including reviewing lost and found book and adoption applications.
• To support and implement BCSPCA provincial initiatives and adhere to all operational policies and procedures.
• To assist in local and provincial fund-raising initiatives.
• To work in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations.
• To review inventory of all shelter supplies including but not limited to: food, blankets, towels, personal protective equipment, cages, crates, etc. to ensure that supplies are ordered as needed and prior to running out.
• To ensure the security of the building when entering and exiting by ensuring all doors and gates are locked when required.
• To operate the Branch vehicle(s) as needed including transporting animals to and from the veterinarian clinic(s) and ensure proper cleanliness and maintenance of the vehicle.
• To work together and collaboratively with other staff and volunteers to benefit and enhance the health and welfare of shelter animals and create a harmonious team environment.
• Regularly participates in meetings with other members of staff to share ideas and suggestions designed to improve the enjoyment of working for the BCSPCA and to increase its productivity.
• To perform other duties as required.
You will have:
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Valid Class 5 BC Drivers’ License
• Strong desire to provide excellent customer service skills: patience, professional, positive attitude, attention to detail, adaptability
• Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
• Resourceful team player who excels at building trusting relationships with colleagues, customers and volunteers
• Highly motivated self-starter who takes initiative with minimal supervision
• A sound knowledge of animals, their breeds, characteristics and common diseases
• Previous kennel or animal care experience will be considered an asset
• Demonstrable interest in all aspects of animal welfare
• Philosophical harmony with the mission, vision and strategic direction of the BC SPCA.
• Position is physically demanding and includes heavy lifting, pushing and pulling which requires an individual with the ability to maintain a level of fitness and endurance to fulfill the required duties (desired)
• Computer experience: Windows, Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
• The animals in our care require attention seven days a week, must be flexible and able to work weekdays, weekends and statutory holidays
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hiring Rate $17.50
- Required Education High School
- 4011 Lansdowne Rd, Prince George, BC V2N 2R5, Canada