Newcomer Employment Specialist
Position Title: Newcomer Employment Specialist
Reports to: Newcomer Employment Lead
The role of the Employment specialist is to enhance the employment readiness of newcomers and provide bridging services to connect them with resources, employers and work opportunities, with the goal of helping them find meaningful employment commensurate with their training and experience.
- Serve clients in a positive, culturally sensitive, constructive and supportive manner in their settlement and job search process.
- Provide clients with one-on-one needs assessment, orientation to the Canadian workplace, updated information on local labor market and accreditation/licensing procedures, employment and alternative career counseling, as well as a personalized, goal-oriented action plan.
- Develop, organize and/or facilitate employment-related workshops and industry-specific information sessions to enhance the employability and competitiveness of job-seeking clients.
- Provide one-on-one employment coaching to clients, including mock interviews and helping clients with job-targeting and resume/cover letter writing.
- Outreach employers to promote the benefits of workforce diversification and solicit job interviews, internships/work placements and direct hire opportunities for clients.
- Engage employers and other community stakeholders in collaborative activities that support the employment integration of newcomers, such as hiring events, virtual career fairs, professional networking events, success coaching, etc.
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Degree/Diploma in Business, Career Development, Human Resources, or related discipline
- Passion and experience in serving immigrants and refugees
- Strong knowledge of the local labor market, job search strategies and employment resources
- Good connections with employers from various fields and sectors
- Strong skills and solid experience in one-on-one counseling and group facilitation
- Self-initiated and motivated, able to work independently as well as in a team setting
- Excellence in written and spoken English
- Fluency in Nigerian languages written and oral would be considered a strong asset
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, communication and marketing skills
- Available to work evenings and weekends on need basis
- Willing to work from satellite offices on regular basis
Thank you for your interest.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only candidates short-listed will be contacted.
No phone calls or visits please.
Please submit Cover Letter and Resume together.
- Pay Type Salary
- Immigrant Services Calgary (Human Resources), 12th Floor, 910-7 Avenue S.W., Calgary, Alberta, Canada