Technical Specialist - BC
NOTE TO ALL APPLICANTS: ISM Canada and our Customers have COVID Vaccination Policies in effect. If selected for employment, you will be required to adhere to ISM Canada’s COVID Vaccination Policy (and Customer Policies, if applicable) to either provide proof of vaccination or regular, valid negative COVID-19 tests (the cost of any required COVID-19 testing is the responsibility of the employee).
Position Title: Technical Specialist
Closing Date: November 1, 2021
Pay Range: 24
Number of Positions: 3
Bi-Weekly Salary: $3103.23 to $3555.88
Bi-weekly Work Schedule: 75 hours
Location: Regional, BC
Job Type: Regular Full Time
- The Technical Specialist works as a member of a specialized technical team in the areas of server support, workstation and endpoint support and project delivery. The position provides technical support for servers and workstations across government and the broader public sector including the full range of technical services. The position responsibilities include maintaining the support of operating systems and hypervisors, installing operating systems software, managing and maintaining cloud infrastructure and services, managing and maintaining layered products and middleware, installing and upgrading hardware, providing a test environment, applying approved patches to operating systems and maintaining fallback procedures and processes.
- The Technical Specialist works to enhance and maintain the customer’s desktop infrastructure, affecting services provided to all supported customer departments, ministries and agencies. The incumbent manages and controls project and service delivery in a distributed enterprise-level IT environment, including centrally located service desks and support staff, as well as distributed support staff and contractors deployed to client sites throughout the province. The position provides coordination and technical expertise in one or more of the following areas: Server Maintenance and Administration, Cloud Maintenance and Administration (Azure, AWS) Citrix Maintenance and Administration, SCCM/MEMCM Maintenance and Administration, Imaging and Application Packaging.
Education and Experience
- Related degree or an equivalent combination of relevant experience, education and/or training.
- Experience in the following:
- Technical project planning and coordination of hardware and/or software business solutions in a LAN/WAN Microsoft Windows environment.
- Experience with configuring and administering Service Management software suites such as Service Now
- Experience with Enterprise Mobile Management products such as Airwatch or In-Tune is an asset
- Analyzing and resolving complex Microsoft Windows Operating Systems, Microsoft Office suite of products, and TCP/IP Network problems.
- Technical experience in or administration of one or more of the following technology disciplines:
- Advanced Microsoft Operating System configuration such as Group Policy, Active Directory, or creating images for enterprise deployment
- Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS) 2.0 or higher (or equivalent product) • Software Packaging Tools (E.g. InstallShield, Wise).
- Software development using Microsoft tools and languages
- Scripting languages such as Microsoft PowerShell
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Plan, organize, and lead moderate to complex technical projects, from initiation through to implementation, effectively and within time and resource constraints and taking into consideration your own and others workloads, shifting constraints, impacts and priorities as well as client and company objectives as applicable.
Ability to prepare, edit, and proof-read a variety of written materials including technical materials such as project plans, charters, reports and/or manuals, efficiently, effectively and at a level appropriate to diverse audiences and within established guidelines.
Ability to present information to audiences, responding appropriately to on-the-spot questions without pre-scripted responses while maintaining credibility and integrity.
Deal effectively with resistant, demanding and sometimes frustrated individuals or groups at various levels within the client organization, remaining focused on outcomes, and responding appropriately in order to: provide or obtain information including information they may not wish to hear; clarify or resolve issues; provide assistance or service; achieve co-operation; elicit assistance; or ensure compliance.
As a member of a team, ability to contribute to group objectives and enhance output in a team environment through cooperation and interaction, active and full contribution, acknowledging diverse opinions, collaboration.
Organize and manage one's fluctuating workload effectively, efficiently and independently in a variety of operational settings, achieving results within acceptable time frames taking into consideration changing priorities, deadlines, workload, available resources and/or reporting relationships while sharing information and/or significant issues with colleagues, clients and supervisors. Determine a course of action by breaking it down into smaller steps, and by planning and resourcing each of these.
Research/Analyze & Investigate
Analyze business and technical problems, situations and issues systematically, identify options, draw logical conclusions and sound inferences, and develop effective, appropriate courses of action using innovation, creativity, good judgment and strategic thinking.
Apply high quality standards to all tasks in hand, paying attention to detail, no matter how small, and ensuring that nothing is overlooked.
Conduct investigations and research related to complex issues to gather pertinent facts.
Information Systems/Business Technology
Use computer technology to ensure high level of efficiency in accomplishing work by using fundamental software applications, keeping abreast of changes, integrating technology into the workplace and operating and monitoring computers. Apply information technology to find effective solutions to business problems. Maintain the customer’s hardware, software and operating systems. Administration and monitoring the operations of the service delivery infrastructure platforms.
FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY: Prepares quotes for projects.
DIRECT SUPERVISION: No direct supervision.
PROJECT/TEAM LEADERSHIP OR TRAINING: Leads and provides direction to teams as required. Provides formal/informal training to team members and other business units.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS
In order to be considered for this position, you must complete a mandatory pre-screening questionnaire. Please make sure you provide detailed information as ISM cannot make assumptions about your qualifications.
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined in the Position Requirements section above.
This position can be done virtually, however, the candidate must reside in the Province of British Columbia, due to the union certification requirements.
An eligibility list might be created.
*Note: if applicable, posted pay ranges for all positions are bi-weekly rates.
This role may involve working with technology that is covered by US and/or Canadian Embargo Export Regulations; therefore all applicants will be subject to additional security screening requirements.
ISM Canada is committed to compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Accessibility for Manitobans Act (AMA), and all other provincial and federal legislation, in our recruitment process. If you are an individual with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation, or are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our applicant system as a result of your disability, you can request reasonable accommodations in the recruitment process by sending an email to: email@example.com
- Job Function BC Operation
- Pay Type Salary
- Employment Indicator Full Time
- British Columbia, Canada