Water Coordinator – Full Time, 1 Year with possibility of an extension
Located in Canada (flexible), preference for Vancouver or Toronto
MakeWay is looking for a Water Coordinator position who will work across the organization to provide direct support to a number of water related initiatives as well as coordinating a collaborative network of BC Freshwater funders. Water is life - it’s a simple fact that we acknowledge every day. However, the truth is our freshwater is experiencing unprecedented challenges, from droughts to overuse to pollution
Across the country, MakeWay supports a wide array of freshwater related work which operate in both place-based watersheds and on a national scale. The Water Coordinator is a new role at MakeWay that will support the resilience of freshwater and watershed communities across the country. The role will work closely with both our Foundation and Shared Platform teams to support the operations, administration, and collaboration of water leaders across the organization and country.
MakeWay is a leading national charity that enables community-led transformation for a healthy environment, social equity, and economic prosperity for all Canadians. Our Shared Platform is home to over 60 projects working on community-led solutions that further our mission. Working for the MakeWay community would provide you with the satisfaction of knowing that everything you do is a part of the important work MakeWay does in providing uncommon solutions for the common good. If our values align with yours and you want to learn, grow and develop within a supportive team that shares knowledge and cares, then we want to hear from you! Join us and make a difference.
What You’ll Do:
Operations and Administration
- Provide day-to-day financial supports to water-focused initiatives and the BC Freshwater Funders Collaborative Network, including: expense entry, budget and cashflow monitoring, allocation tracking, and other financial administration needs
- Provide contract support, including determining when vendor contracts are required, assisting with the development of deliverables, completing paperwork, and monitoring payments and reporting
- Coordinate various incoming grants and their associated requirements such as outgoing reports
- Support project leaders and managers with identifying and securing opportunities for sustainable funding opportunities
- Work with projects to ensure ongoing charitable compliance by monitoring and tracking political activity, fundraising activity, and other regulated activities
- Support project staff engagement, including coordinating hiring processes, managing staff onboarding, designing and implementing relevant policies, and tracking vacation liability
Convene and Communicate
- Support the BC Freshwater Funders Collaborative Network and water initiatives with logistical coordination of annual events, gatherings, and trips
- Act as the point of contact for collaborative network inquiries and initiatives
- Work with the BC Freshwater Funders Collaborative Network manager to advance the Collaborative’s strategic objectives of sharing knowledge, increasing water leaders capacity, addressing sector gaps, and assessing collective progress
- Identify opportunities for deepening shared learnings and building collaboration across water-focused initiatives and networks
- Share learnings amongst freshwater leaders and funders by developing various written communications (e.g. briefing notes)
- Provide notetaking supports for various meetings and events as needed
Develop Tools and Resources
- Maintain and manage the BC Freshwater Funders Collaborative network’s online presence, including websites, emails, and licenses
- Support the annual evaluation and reporting for water programs
- Identify opportunities for process streamlining and cross-initiative collaboration
- Coordination and support of Special Projects related to water as they arise
Who You Are:
- Adaptable: You are able to manage and prioritize incoming requests, juggle conflicting priorities and deliver multiple assignments, all while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency
- People-oriented – you are able to develop positive working relationships with diverse communities, experience working in partnership with BIPOC & Indigenous communities would be an asset
- Strong organizational skills – You are extremely organized, with an ability to anticipate, plan and deliver exceptional support
- Detail-oriented – you excel at tasks that require a high level of precision and you address errors and inconsistencies.
- Ability to convene and facilitate constructive discussions with multiple partners
- An interest in freshwater resilience and a desire to learn and contribute·
Experience You Bring:
- 2+ years’ of experience in project management and document management in a complex working environment
- Exceptional planning and time management skills
- Ability to prioritize and deliver multiple assignments in a fast-paced and changing environment
- We recognize and believe knowledge comes in lot of different ways beyond traditional educational systems. We are not requiring any degree or technical training. Instead, we’d ask candidates to help us understand what your experience and knowledge is related to water and how you developed it.
It Would be a Bonus if You Have:
- Experience in the charitable/non-profit sector
What We Offer:
- The opportunity to have a real impact on the community
- Salary of $50,000 – $55,000 (dependent on experience you bring)
- Competitive benefits package including generous RRSP contribution
- Three weeks’ vacation
- Flexible work environment with remote working
- Committed colleagues
- High level of responsibility and autonomy
- Opportunities and support for professional learning and growth
How to Apply:
In your cover letter please share what makes you an ideal fit for this position, why you want to join the MakeWay Team, and why water matters to you.
MakeWay is strongly committed to creating a diverse workplace community and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the selection process, please contact us.
Only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No recruiters please!
- Pay Type Salary
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Vancouver, BC, Canada