Sheridan Nurseries Glen Williams Farm is actively searching for a:
Permanent, Full Time
Our Vision, Mission, & Values:
At Sheridan Nurseries we aim to delight our associates, guests, and business partners in everything we do. Independently owned and operated for over 100 years, we are committed to growing the highest quality plants at our local farms, curating the best-in-class home, garden, and lifestyle products and services, delivering unrivaled guest service and satisfaction, and providing meaningful and rewarding careers to our employees. We always strive to inspire and share our knowledge, passion, and expertise to build confidence, loyalty, and trust, while protecting our planet with industry leading environmentally sustainable initiatives and giving back to our local communities and charities.
Our vision is “To inspire people to never stop growing”.
At Sheridan we seek people who will continually strengthen our culture. We work hard to ensure our culture is something we feel proud of and allows us to bring our best selves to work every day. And a great culture starts with values. We have clearly defined values which are embedded in everything that we do so that they are lived and breathed daily.
If you share our values of:
1. Doing What’s Right
2. Being Performance Driven
3. Learning and Growing Together
4. Being Externally Focused
5. Having Bias for Action
Then this is the position is for you!
About the Job:
Reporting to the Assistant Manager of Growing, the Container Grower will be responsible for overseeing the cultural team within the growing section to meet production timelines and sales forecast targets, as well as maintaining the general upkeep and standards of excellence for all plant material contained within their assigned section.
- Monitor growing areas and crops daily, supervising all activities within assigned section.
- Assist in implementation if IPM program and ensure that accepted IPM procedures are being maintained.
- Supervise all pesticide applications within assigned section; apply pesticides, chemicals, and biologicals as required to maintain crop health.
- Monitor and adjust nutritional programs after testing.
- Maintain pruning procedures and schedules.
- Monitor and adjust irrigation applications daily with irrigation technicians.
- Manage and plan space allocation for new plants scheduled from production, ensuring timely spacing of plants.
- Train staff within section to perform efficiently and effectively to company standards.
- Prepare daily task plans for all section associates.
- Provide timely labour, cultural, and inventory adjustment data; maintain growing records that include specifics about plant growth, fertilization, pest problems, and treatments.
- Meet production timelines and sale forecast targets.
- Promote a safe and healthy working environment.
- Able to join other work crews as priorities require at the direction of Management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada and have a full G driver's license.
- 2-3 years of outdoor ornamental growing experience an asset.
- Having a Grower pesticide applicators license would be an asset.
- Effective communication, organization, and leadership skills.
- Ability to problem solve and make decisions with an attention to detail.
- Resourceful and works well independently while supervising a crew.
- Ability to adapt and prioritize multiple tasks and situations with effective time management skills.
- Experience with MS Office Suite programs, including Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- You are punctual and dependable, and highly value honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Flexibility to work outdoors for a variety of shifts including day, evening, weekends, and holidays as scheduled. Plant cultural responsibility begins at potting and extends through harvest.
- This job requires extended periods of walking and standing, as well as the ability to lift 50lbs and work in various weather conditions and environments.
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
If selected, please advise if you require special accommodation to attend the interview.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Georgetown - 12266 10th Line, 12266 10th Line, Georgetown, Ontario, Canada