Senior Buyer - Nursery Sourcing
Sheridan Nurseries Nursery Operations is actively searching for a:
Permanent, Full Time
Our Vision, Mission, & Values
At Sheridan Nurseries we aim to delight our associates, guests, and business partners in everything we do. Independently owned and operated for over 100 years, we are committed to growing the highest quality plants at our local farms, curating the best-in-class home, garden, and lifestyle products and services, delivering unrivaled guest service and satisfaction, and providing meaningful and rewarding careers to our employees. We always strive to inspire and share our knowledge, passion, and expertise to build confidence, loyalty, and trust, while protecting our planet with industry leading environmentally sustainable initiatives and giving back to our local communities and charities.
Our vision is “To inspire people to never stop growing”.
At Sheridan we seek people who will continually strengthen our culture. We work hard to ensure our culture is something we feel proud of and allows us to bring our best to work every day. And a great culture starts with values. We have clearly defined values which are embedded in everything that we do.
If you share our values of:
- Doing What’s Right
- Being Performance Driven
- Learning and Growing Together
- Being Externally Focused
- Having Bias for Action
Then this position is for you!
Reporting to the Vice President of Nursery Operations, the Senior Buyer will be responsible for purchasing raw material inputs for all nursery production including sourcing materials, negotiating terms and conditions, preparing purchase orders, verifying shipments, and maintaining accurate records.
- Verify purchase requirements for plant material by comparing items requested to the master production plan.
- Purchasing raw material inputs for all nursery production.
- Prepare purchase orders by verifying specifications and price.
- Advise growing department managers of items that are unavailable and/or back-ordered items.
- Sourcing of alternate suppliers and materials based on pricing and availability.
- Communicate with growing teams on ever changing lead times.
- Verify receipt of items by comparing items received to items ordered.
- Resolve shipment errors and/or quality issues with suppliers and take the lead in correcting product that is missing, damaged, or below quality expectations.
- Negotiate favourable terms and conditions on all products required.
- Authorize payment for purchases by forwarding receiving documentation to Accounts Payable.
- Keep information accessible by sorting and filing documents.
- Forecasting price changes within the supply channels.
- Ensuring inventory items have proper costs set.
- Work to budget or cost targets and identify any discrepancies.
- Communicate any problems or obstacles to direct report.
- Assist with other duties and projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Minimum 3-5 years of related horticulture experience preferred but not required.
- Attention to detail with effective communication and organization skills.
- Ability to problem solve and make decisions with an attention to detail.
- Resourceful and works well independently while being able to collaborate effectively with others.
- Ability to work in tight deadlines, multitask, establish priorities, and work independently with effective time management skills.
- Experience with MS Office Suite programs, including Outlook, Access, and Excel.
- You are punctual and dependable, and highly value honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Must have completed high school and be legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Ability to work full-time hours including day, evening, weekends, and holidays as required by seasonal peaks.
- Please be advised that being fully vaccinated for Covid-19 is a condition of employment (subject to any accommodation required under the Ontario Human Rights Code).
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be
contacted. If selected, please advise if you require special accommodation to attend the interview.
- Pay Type Salary
- Georgetown - 12266 10th Line, 12266 10th Line, Georgetown, Ontario, Canada