Senior Building Inspector - CLOSES: Thursday October 21, 2021
Internal / External
The Corporation of the City of St. Thomas -
Planning & Building Services Department has a position for a:
Senior Building Inspector
Planning & Building Services
An Opportunity to Join Our Dynamic Team … in a Dynamic City
St. Thomas is a community growing in size and strength and is home to about 40,000 people. Conveniently located close to Port Stanley, London, and Highway 401, it's the perfect location in Southwestern Ontario. With a rich heritage but a modern atmosphere, there is nowhere better to thrive than St. Thomas.
This CUPE 841 position, under the general supervision of the Chief Building Official, this position is responsible for the administration and enforcement of provincial statutes and regulations applying to properties, including buildings, structures and their occupancy under their areas of responsibility, including but not limited to the Building Code Act, Building Code and Fire Code. May be appointed to act as Chief Building Official in his/her absence.
- Conduct site inspections in relation to issued permits to ensure the construction, use and condition is in conformity with approved drawings, applicable statutes, regulations and by-laws for all types of construction (residential, commercial, industrial and institutional) under their areas of responsibility.
- Conduct plan examination of applications for permit to ensure the proposed construction and use is in conformity with applicable statutes, regulations and by-laws for all types of construction (residential, commercial, industrial and institutional), as qualifications allow.
- Inform permit applicants, design consultants, construction professionals, builders, property owners or project managers as necessary of any discrepancies discovered during plan examination or site inspection and request all necessary changes to plans, submissions and any other additional information as may be necessary while maintaining accurate records and database management.
- Consult with permit applicants and the public with respect to the requirements of the Building Code (both technical and general) and departmental requirements as an aid in design, construction, and permit application processes.
- Respond to complaints and inspect properties to ensure their use and condition is in conformity with applicable statutes, regulations and by-laws. Write and issue orders as appropriate when a contravention is found and follow up as may be necessary. Report findings to the Chief Building Official for review and direction.
- Meet with staff, owners, public, contractors, consultants and professionals as required to provide appropriate advice and/or settle disputes or grievances ensuring timely and appropriate responses and subsequent actions.
- Interpret and explain procedures of inspections and give verbal and written approvals for various stages of construction as completed.
- Participate and co-operate with Fire Inspectors, Liquor Control Board Inspectors, Labour Inspectors, Police Officers and any other authority having jurisdiction as may be required.
- Perform and record all necessary calculations and verifications as required for permit review, including verification of all applicable approvals from and in cooperation with various Ontario government ministries and in full compliance with applicable law.
- Provide testimony as a witness before the Landlord Tenant Board when under subpoena.
- Post issued orders on site and ensure appropriate mailing procedures for the same have been followed.
- Review approved plans for on-site inspection purposes.
- Refer approved applications to the Chief Building Official for issuance.
- Respond to written and verbal inquiries with respect to construction under areas of responsibility and issue certificates of compliance or non-compliance.
- Assist the City Solicitor to prepare documentation for court action. Provide evidence and testimony as required. Represent the City at relevant legal proceedings or special hearings and attend meetings, as required.
- Prepare and submit reports to the Chief Building Official in the manner and form prescribed.
- Prepare and maintain data and records, both written and electronic, concerning all investigations, inspections, plan examinations and enforcement activities in a clear and concise manner consistent with the requirements of pertinent legislation, regulations and by-laws of the Corporation.
- Attend seminars, workshops and training courses as required and/or approved.
- Attends Committee of Adjustment meetings and provides information and advice on all applications as it relates to the applicable building and zoning By-Laws if required.
- May be appointed by the Chief Building Official or the Director of Planning and Building Services to act as Chief Building Official in the absence of the Chief Building Official.
- Perform such other related duties as may be assigned.
Minimum three (3) years Post Secondary School Diploma in A Building Science field (Engineering, Architectural, Construction) together with minimum five (5) years experience in a related field, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience in the building industry. Must possess and demonstrate a working knowledge of Building & Plumbing Regulations. Must have passed, or obtain such, within an agreeable period of time from commencement of employment, the examination program administered or authorized by the Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing (Building and Development Branch) relating to the Powers and Duties of Chief Building Official and the categories of qualifications set out in Division C of the Ontario Building Code. A minimum eight (8) categories out of twelve (12) are required. Must have or be eligible for membership in the Ontario Building Officials Association (O.B.O.A.) and obtain the C.B.C.O. designation. Membership and/or courses attained through the Ontario Association of Property Standards Officers (OAPSO) is considered an asset. Must be competent within the meaning of the Occupational Health & Safety Act. Must have excellent computer and record management skills, including the use of the Microsoft Office 365. Must have highly effective organizational, time management and research skills with attention to detail. Must be capable of issuing clearly understandable written instructions, work as part of a team and develop cooperative and collaborative working relationships inside and outside the organization. Must have superior public relations and customer service skills, as well as the ability to deal authoritatively, but politely with difficult customers. Must have the ability to work independently with minimal supervision. Must have physical capability to carry out duties with the position classification (i.e. climb ladders, walk over rough terrain, enter confined spaces). Must hold, or be able to acquire, valid First Aid and CPR certificates.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Applicants may be required to work beyond the normal hours of work. A valid Class “G” Ontario Driver’s Licence with current driving abstract in good standing with MTO and the use of a privately owned vehicle are required. Must maintain confidentiality of information acquired through the review of building proposals. Must maintain sound knowledge of applicable legislation, current industry practices and applicable case law.
Senior Building Inspector Remuneration Range: *Remuneration will be based on commensurate experience, qualifications, and certifications as per the CUPE 841 Collective Agreement.
$30.81 - $38.52 per hour plus $0.53 cents for each successfully completed qualification to a maximum of 11 (Legal, House, HVAC House, Plumbing – House, Small Buildings, Building Structural, Plumbing – All Buildings, Large Buildings, Building Services, On-Site Sewage Systems, and Detection, Lighting and Power) working 40 hours per week plus a comprehensive benefit package and OMERS pension.
Applications must be received no later than Thursday October 21, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
HOW TO APPLY:
Go to www.stthomas.ca – Employment, Employment Opportunities.
Go to Posting Title.
Click the ‘Apply Now’ button. You will need to create a Login.
Please IMPORT and UPLOAD your COVER LETTER AND RESUME individually (i.e. pdf, word).
ENSURE YOU HAVE ATTACHED ALL DOCUMENTS PRIOR TO SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION.
Note: You will be required to answer Qualification questions during the application process.
When your application has been successfully received through Dayforce, you will receive an email from email@example.com stating “Congratulations, your application has been successfully submitted.”
All prospective employees, volunteers and students will be required to provide an acceptable “Criminal Record Search” as a condition of employment and prior to commencing employment.
Although we appreciate all applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information for this position is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, R.S.O. 2001, as amended.
The City of St. Thomas is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. If you require accommodation to apply or if selected to participate in an assessment process, you must provide your accommodation needs in advance. Questions may be directed to the Human Resources Department at 519-631-1680 ext. 4146.
- Pay Type Hourly
- 545 Talbot St, St Thomas, ON N5P 2T9, Canada